Monday, September 9, 2013

A New Direction

A New Direction- that is the name of the boy band Kris Ross, Chris Jones, and Nick Kappas are starting.

Just kiddin.

It's what is going on right here, right now on this blog....as I'm sure you saw above.  We have a new name.  The Shanghai Triplicate.  Why the change?  Thanks for asking.

We are going print.  Print is the new online, and we are cutting edge folk.  Therefore, you'll be needing to call on the phone to order your subscription- which is going to cost you now.  It'll be worth it though.  In fact, our print version is going to be so cool- it'll melt your face off.

Episode 1- Print Version (please print)
by Calee Cariaga

World News

Today I had my first Chinese Language lesson here in China.  As you may remember from some of our old-style "online" posts, I've taken Chinese before....but that was when I was in the US.

Chinese Language lessons here in China:


  • Suck
  • Are difficult
  • Not fun
  • Make you feel dumb
It wasn't that bad really....only sounds bad in the print version.  If this was a donkey online posting it would have been bad.

Anyway- my teacher's name is Emily- translation Wang Xing.  But Wang is the last name- here you say the last name first- always.  Makes good sense.  Emily cool- but we met at the People's Square Starbucks.....Chinese translation- busiest place in the world; or loudest room ever; or in this case both.  Emily let me know that she "likes western culture", which I'm sure means we'll be meeting in these authentic western places going forward.  

I can't speak Chinese- but I'm really surprised at how well I can fake it.  Cab ride home- can  get us there.  Order at restaurant- no prob.  Ask for more, less, or whatever- I got it.  Tell someone what I need- easy as pie.

Throw that all straight out the window when you have someone who can speak, read, and write both English and Chinese.  They know you for the fake you are, and they make you pay for it.  So it's back to basics for me.  Noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, particle, something else....I don't even know it in my native tongue.

Second Edition- Print Version (please print)
by Calee Cariaga

Food Review

This is what I had for lunch today.  Don't ask me what it is cause this bro couldn't tell ya.



It was from my new favorite place- Sproutworks.  Sproutworks is a very Portland-style healthy eatery.  Mine tasted like what I would guess rabbit food taste like.


Third Edition- Print Version (please print)
by Calee Cariaga

Lifestyle

I bit hard running today.  Sarah and I got up early as part of our exercise program.  We ran for about 40 minutes by the time we had doubled back to the apartment.  I, flat yoked on some french-press-extra-caffinated coffee thought "I'll run some more".  Clippin, I rounded the corner of Wulumuqi Rd and Anfu Rd.  Unfortunately, that corner happens to have a public trash can on the sidewalk.  In China a public trash can means oozey slime coming out the bottom and onto the street.  I'd like to see you try to take a 90 on that stuff at Kenyan speed.  Needless to say, my feet shot out from under me and I did a motorcycle-style slide right into two people on bikes.  I knew it was bad when even the old Chinese guy hustled up to see if I was ok.  Little did he know I may as well have been the giver in the Mike Tyson Greatest Hits Volume 2 DVD.....I'm that tough and the asphalt paid the price.  I did, however, end up with this little guy:


Oh, and something similar to that on my shin, knee, hip, and noggin.  Like I said- motorcycle style.

In closing, I'd like to leave you with some quotes from a show that was never really my favorite....maybe not even top 8....but was roughly my #2-6 in terms of closing lines.


"I usually don’t like thinking about the future. I mean let’s face it, you can’t predict what’s going to happen. But sometimes, the thing you didn’t expect is what you really wanted after all. Maybe the best thing to do is stop trying to figure out where you’re going and just enjoy where you’re at.”

“Sometimes the answer you get is the one you least expect. but more often than not, the answers we’ve been looking for have been inside us all along. i guess the important thing is to never stop searching.“

“I’ve been thinking a lot lately about taking chances, and how it’s really just about overcoming your fears. Because the truth is, everytime you take a big risk in your life, no matter how it ends up, you’re always glad you took it. ”

“I guess in the end, things seldom work out the way you expect. sometimes, fate is on your side. other times, well, you’ve kind of sealed your own fate. either way you have to trust that whatever’s supposed to happen, will happen. “

“I guess when you care about someone, you’ll do whatever you can to make ‘em happy.”

“The truth is, it is all your memories, the joyful ones and the heartbreaking ones that make up who you are as a person”







1 comment: