Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What's going on America?

Hello?  Is it me you're looking for?

I haven't heard much from anyone lately!?

Dade?  Eric?  Seth?  Hello?  Jen?  Torin?  Anyone home?

I got a quick "you moved!?" Email from Paige....responded, and nada?

Mia- Gino in High School now?

Chris/Mom- you guys coming here in two weeks still?

Kris- still riding dirty?

Seriously- all quiet on the home front...everyone must have their heads down grinding away!?  And I get it.

Yesterday I bought a motorcycle.  Today I sold it.  Don't ask.  Spent all day today ironing out all the issues with the new apartment.  90% done!  I think tomorrow "maintenance" will be here to fix one more thing then we are as good as new.

Sarah has a cold.  Bu hao.  Chinese cold is different than a US cold....there is a long lingering cough.  Guess it's maybe not that different...but seems worse.

I've started a project- making paper airplanes and throwing them off the balcony....see if they'll clear some serious distance.  Best one yet made it what I think was 1 mile....but it's really hard to tell.  Yeah- that's what I do with my time here.  Everyone always asks- now you know.

The weather has turned great here.  The humidity went wwwaaaayyyy down and the temp dropped a little too!  It's now tolerable to cruise the streets.  That allowed me to get out a little this afternoon on the old bike.  Took it down to the avocado lady- that is the name of this little grocery store not too far from our new place.  It's down and dirty- but all foreigners buy fruits and vegetables there with no issues....can't complain about that.

Recently, I've had a new appreciation for this place.  Could be weather related I don't know- but I've begun to recognize the locals around here as people not so different from you and me.  Sure you get spit on, coughed on, stared at....but that just is what it is- and beyond that- there are some decent folks here.  We have some very helpful folks around us that I think we're both thankful for.

Xiao Lan for example- I swear she thinks she's my mom.  The other day I asked her to order the big jugs of drinking water, which she did, and then reminded me "please don't forget" that the water dude would be here at 7.  Then she text me a reminder.....then I forgot, she called the guy and somehow got him to come back once I raced home.  Pretty nice as I obviously made her look bad.

The people who helped us find our apartment have been on the hook 24/7....must have sent them 5 million emails...they answer every one.

I will say though, I'm pretty dumb around here.  Things can be so different- the day to day stuff, that you just don't know the basics sometimes....and all you can do is ask.

Well- you win more than you lose hopefully....and when you come across something that looks like a kangaroo, poke it with a stick and call me silly....and if you haven't seen the movie "Hit and Run"- well then get you down to the DVD store.

Go Pels!





1 comment:

  1. Just finished my shots and got my malaria pills today. Getting ready for the big departure!!

    ReplyDelete