Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Day In Shanghai

Today Sarah and I took a stroll through Shanghai.  It was sunny and warm~ not a cloud in the sky.

We got up at 10am and went to the local coffee shop and had some coffee and listened to the birds sing.  The warm sun on our faces, we were able to catch up on some much needed relaxation time.

After our massages we walked some more and found a great little authentic Italian restaurant and had some lunch.  It was quaint and the live violinist was a very nice touch.  Probably the best Italian food I've ever had.

We called David to pick us up, and he took us back to our apartment so we could take a nap.

Once our nap was through, Sarah put on a dress and I found my favorite dress shirt, we were ready for a night on the town.  We had an excellent dinner on our own private balcony looking over the Shanghai skyline, and had some vintage wine. 

We made it home around 11pm and fell fast asleep.

OR

I woke up this morning at 4am, as usual, way too early....still not used to the time difference and lacking some serious sleep-in time.

Sarah took off for work, but not before I opened the bathroom door and hit her foot....stubbing her toe I made a run for it cause I knew she was going to come at me swinging that blow dryer.  You try to run full speed at a moments notice at 6am in the morning holding a cup of coffee.

Coffee all over my shirt, we made plans to meet up for lunch.  As soon as we decided where to go and when to meet, I remembered that I have to be at home for 6 hours today while some people come and replace the filters in the HVAC system....Sarah leaves for work.

9am rolls around and no HVAC guy.  10am, nothing.  I call Sarah and let her know that I'm not waiting around for them and we can do lunch.  Doorbell rings.

An hour late, the guy says a bunch of stuff to me in Chinese before I can tell him that I don't know what he's saying.  He stops talking and starts working.  After about 2 hours he stops and makes a phone call, talks to someone for about 5 minutes, then hands me the phone.  The guy on the other end tells me (in English) that homeboy doesn't have what he needs and will have to come again next week. 

I call Sarah, but no answer.  No matter, David is here and we are going to pick up the sidehack!  With this in mind, ain't nothing gonna break my stride.  Ain't nothing gonna slow me down, oh-no.  I've got to keep on moving.

Now the raddest part of this whole Shanghai shenanigans.  We get to the bike shop, mentally prepared for the 20 mile ride back to my apartment.  We walk in and I could tell something was wrong right out of the gates.  The looks on their faces reflected that of bad news, and the trembling in their voices, which I couldn't understand told me one thing- no sidehack.

David and the shop owner went back and forth for a long time before David turned to me and gave me the bad news I already knew.  Apparently the factory "forgot" to make it...and it won't be ready until the end of December! 

There are a bunch of holes in the story, and I won't go into details....but long story short, I walked out with a regular bike that is supposed to replace the sidehack until it comes.

All good though.  I was starting to second guess my color scheme, and this gives me the opportunity to rethink how I'm going to design the coolest BMX in China.

Well, you can't win them all....hopefully you win more than you lose. 

Tomorrow I'm gonna put some miles on this bike, and hopefully not get ran over in the process.  Stay tuned for some "real China" photos for tomorrow's blog!

Not a sidehack....but it does have two wheels

This guy and I are having the same kind of day.  He has some of the coolest colors I've ever seen on a cat- and he was way mellow. 

Z for bike chain.

Spent the day in this alley waiting for the bike shop to slap together some piecer for me....







2 comments: