Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Travel Strategy

I'm changing my travel strategy.

Up to now (and including today) the formula has been this-

Check one suitcase
Carry on one bag

I've split my crap between the two bags with shirts going in the carry on. All other clothes, fishing gear, shoes, etc go in the William Joseph roller bag. It is 6000 cubic inches and the bottom compartment will fit 4 rods.

The problem is- because of its size, it's always very near the max weight.....as I pack the light stuff in the carry on....but the carry on still isn't light. Additionally, the carry on doesn't carry as well as I'd like- the shoulder strap is too long for someone my height- and the bag hits my knees as I walk. Last but not least- its difficult to access critical items from this bag while in the standing position with said shoulder strap over your shoulder.

The deal with this bag though is- its an $800 leather duffel bag made by Cole Haan. Granted, I got it for half off of half off of half off cause I'm crafty like that....but make no mistake- you walk through the airport with this bag and even Jeff McHale will stop and applaud. It's now been to the US, Japan, Shanghai, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and the Philippines. CH carry on has clocked more miles than a rusty '62 Chevy truck but still looks like a Ferrari that's just been been washed and waxed.

And the chicks.....

Anyway, the new plan is this- check 2 bags. Carry on a simple backpack. Simplify. Less is more.

The only items carried on will be specific to the 17 or so hours of travel:

-passport
-phone with SIM cards
-pen
-iPad
-Gameboy
-socks
-hat
-misc chargers
-a mix of meds that maybe will help sleep
-snacks
-quintessential hoodie

And that's it. Ain't nobody got time for a bunch of shirts, and random useless other crap.

Funny side note- as I went to take a photo of the bag, I notices the shoulder strap is adjustable!!

1 comment:

  1. you do travel more than anyone I know so you should have the very best to travel.

    ReplyDelete