Monday, December 10, 2012

Just me and the big man.....

Went to workout this afternoon, you know how I do it....

Walked in the door of the club and knew right away something was different.

Usually the kid at the desk is asleep. At best, he's half awake and will stare at you while you sign in and then hand you a towel. The other guy that is around sometimes hides behind the desk and smokes....oh- he doubles as a personal trainer too.

Anyway, today there was a dude in a suit who promptly stood up and did the old Chinese bow when I approached. He bowed china style again when he handed me my towel. A nice surprise, thought they maybe are making some changes to the place.

I turn from the desk and head through the door to the gym. It's a combo gym- weights and cardio stuff (treadmill, bikes, etc).

I go through the door and didn't see anyone working out, not at all uncommon here....but about half the lights were off, making it darker than usual. I didn't think anything of it....turned on all the lights, put my water bottle down with my keys, and headed to the back to run on a treadmill.

About half way back to the treadmills and someone turns the lights off.

Well, I'm about the only person who uses this gym outside the "after work" window....in other words- I own it. So I turned around and walked back to the light switch and back on they all go. At this point I thought I messed something up cause there was no one around....maybe they're on a motion sensor?

Back to the treadmills I go. The treadmills are separated by a sort of floating wall. It's pretty tall but not all the way to the ceiling and open on both ends.

Off go the lights.

I walk around the wall changing music on my phone, look up, and some dudes butt is in my face! Odd since I'm standing upright.

Then it all hits me. The big man is in the building! The lights- the dude at the desk- some guy who is 7'6" tall....it all makes sense now.

I had prepared for this moment since the day we moved in. I was sure at some point I was going to catch him since we ride the same elevator.

But that was the problem. I had prepared an elevator speech, not a "lets workout together- just you and me" speech. And I blew it.

I pulled the Ralph from A Christmas Story. Just like when he sat on Santa's lap with a chance to ask for a BB gun but froze....I too froze up with my mouth open.

I walk around the wall changing music on my phone, look up, and some dudes butt is in my face! Odd since I'm standing upright. He was on his phone too, not yet on a treadmill. He looked up and said "Hi how are you" and I couldn't even return the gesture. I choked. The best I could come up with was to flick a head nod his direction....but I think my mouth was still open.

I got on a treadmill and started running hoping that if he did notice, he'd think my face was red from the workout.

He walked next to me for about 10 minutes then was joined by his trainer. It was just the three of us in the gym until they left about 45 minutes later.

Pretty cool, but the gym isn't that big- and they kept getting in my way. This place isn't big enough for the two of us.

I snapped a pic but don't think I should put it up, too paparazzi. Ill say this though- tallest dude I've ever seen by far. Also, he can throw up some serious weight. I said something to his trainer about if he could really use the giant dumbbells he was preparing and he looked at them and said "these? Oh yeah easy".....they must have been 200 pounds each!

Ill throw in a few random photos-

-David on the motorcycle I just bought....try to fit that in the trunk of a Honda Accord

- real sheep skin rug for $25

- Donkey!





2 comments: