Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Orphaned in Shanghai

Orphaned in Shanghai (for Christmas).
At least that's what the posters said.....it didn't make much sense to me the first time I saw it. But, we were going to Thailand, so it didn't need to make sense. And then my passport got jacked. Right out of my work bag, side pocket, unzipped, passport revealed, passport gone. Dang.
Needless to say, timing and luck (Or, maybe a brain that wasn't overworked and undernourished of sleep was Not on our side. And Thailand trip was cancelled pre-maturely. Yeah, I could've got an emergency passport and we could've went to Thailand as planned. Lesson learned. It appeared that Christmas was not going to be as planned.
So we are waiting on a new fully loaded passport. Then I can re-apply for my work Visa, re-apply for my Residence permit and re-apply for whatever other licenses/certificates/permits that keep us in China--and out of China--and not in Pilipino airport jail cells.

Meanwhile, we dialed up the Christmas cheer here in apt 702 and prepared for our First Christmas "at our own place." I won't go as far as to say "Home", because I just don't think China could ever be home?? But, I am only 4 months in and work with a lot of folks who said they'd never make it past 2 years (4 years ago...). We put presents under the fabric tree, pulled out the True Value Hardware Christmas CDs and started to notice that Christmas appeared to be all over here in Shanghai! Christmas trees, Bells, lights and Christmas music playing in stores and restaurants. There are some pretty incredible Christmas trees on display in the City, and I kept taking pictures of them. It was liking a little boost of the Holiday spirit each time I saw one. And then the Santa hats....everywhere! The waiters, clerks and even the massage lady was sporting the red and white Santa hats by today! A lot of Chinese people appeared to easily embrace the Christmas cheer with the westerners. And I don't think its just for our (the customers) benefit. The religious sentiment of the Christmas season is not likely resonating, or recognized, by most locals. But the Holiday Cheer---the energy that comes with Christmas---is something they appear to be enjoying as much as I do. And that means we may not be as orphaned as the poster claimed after all.














No comments:

Post a Comment