Friday, April 19, 2013

Modern Engineering and Happy Birthday Christine!

I just don't get it.  Everyone loves puppies and kittens.  If you say you hate kittens, you're a liar....unless you're allergic.  Then I'd hate them too.

So this is what I think, and if you disagree, go find another rad blog....

We have engineered everything.  Bridges that span miles, space ships, submarines.  We've covered every inch of this world.....even been to the moon.

We can make watermelons more juicy, corn more sweet, cows more lean.

We can turn air and water into electricity, fire, the wheel, bronze tools and more.

All that crap and no one has figured out how to bio-engineer pets.  I'd like a pure white long hair kitty that doesn't shed, and will only ever grow to 40% full size.  Is that really too much to ask?  Considering what we've accomplished, I don't think so.  I will give the first person to come up with this a cool $100 cash.

I'm on a roll.....so here is stellar idea #2- how about a small street store/booth, like a newspaper stand style shop that you'd find in a big city.  The shops walls rotate around, and have three faces.  So in the morning your booth sells newspapers, coffee, maybe bagels.  At 3pm you rotate your wall once and it's full of candy and toys for the kids who just got out of school.  At 5pm it rotates again and now you're selling beer, cigarettes, maybe umbrellas on a rainy day....get my drift...?  Why hasn't this caught hold?  This is easy stuff....anyway, the intellectual capital belongs to me- don't touch.

Update on Little Flower:

This was Little Flower's first week and it's been dope.  She's already way better than Po was (no offense Po).  So on Wednesday she and I went to the store so I could show her what kind of stuff we buy- and she'll make sure we always have it.  IOW- she's going to do most of our grocery shopping for us....which is just flat crazy that, as we all know, I really have no responsibility here, and I still can't manage to lift a finger. 

We went to the foreigner market, and she balked at the prices of stuff there....then offered to take me to E-Mart, a big Target style store not too far from our house.  I didn't really pay too much attention to most of it- but I did notice they had Ting Tao beer- 22oz- for 2 RMB.  That's 40 cents folks.  Needless to say, I was all over the pijiu (that means beer in Chinese).

After the store, we walked back to our house and she showed me some other local shops.  Nothing I haven't seen yet- but interesting to have her pointing out what they actually were....a lot of times I just walk by- half jaw dropped at the madness.  On our walk back she explained that she's been an ayi for 24 years here in Shanghai!

Long story short, she's money....she did ask me about my family some, and I made the mistake of telling her that I have 6 brothers and sisters, so she asked about each and their age....then asked how old my mom was.....and I had to start back tracking.....and she never really understood any of it in the first place....so now I think she thinks I was lying.  This is the kind of crap you have to deal with all the time around here.  My advise to you is this- when in another country, answer "yes" or "no" to every single question anyone ever asks you.  It's much more simple.

Along those lines, Mikey B asked me if I could hook up a mountain bike frame for cheap.  As you all know, I love these kinds of projects- but seriously....I don't know if its the language barrier or the way business is done around here but it's been 400 conversations, covering the same 4 points for 4 days now (4 is an unlucky number here BTW.  You'll never see a building with a 4th floor).  Its real simple- 21 inch frame, 29 inch wheel size, aluminum, how much?  Be my guest if you think you can make any headway over here with something this easy.....and let me tell you- any time the answer has anyting to do with "the factory"- you're in trouble.

Written by Calee Cariaga in a letter to you.  April 19, 2013


HAPPY BIRTHDAY Christine Williamson of Lebanon Oregon! 
Christine, mother of the 1995 Strawberry Festival Queen turns 61 today!  Arriving in Oregon via covered wagon on the Oregon Trail, Christine is now old enough to "remember when this was all fields as far as the eye could see".  If you ever get a chance to sit down with "Chirs" as her friends and family call her, you'll be in for a treat of a history lesson as she will give you first hand accounts of; the invention of the wheel, the spanish inqusition, or the civil war. 

As a baby Christine was raised by native tribes, now called Neanderthal, and as a young girl growing up in the ice age she has fond memories of riding the wooly mammoth.  Her teenage years were spent chasing "totonka" (also know as buffalo) in the fields and prairies of her back yard.  Fast forward to today and you can find her working in her yard with her beloved husband Steve, cooking in the kitchen (just kiddin!), or spending time with her grandchildren. 

You can see her documentary on the History Channel website here:

www.olderthandirt.historychannel.com

61 and still rolling!  Happy Birthday Christine!!!

Written in a twitter update- time stamp 5:11pm

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you have way tooo much time on your hands.As this old lady still suffers from restless leg syndrome from walking beside the wagon guiding the mules carrying the rest of our gear. Waiting to hear what your people find out over there. I will be cycling to keep strong.

    ReplyDelete