Friday, September 28, 2012

We made it!

The flight was rough- Shanghai airport at 9:45pm last night. That was three hours early because of Chinese Holiday travel. Flight left Shanghai at 12:45 in the morning, and arrived in Manila at 4:30am.

The Manila airport has 4 terminals which are each the size of a normal airport. We had to get a cab from terminal 3 to terminal 4. I'll hopefully write about this later, but in that 10 minute ride I saw the most impoverished areas I've ever seen in my life by far. The worst parts of Mexico wouldn't hold a candle. Literally garbage everywhere, people sleeping in the gutters- literally- in the rain....I was taken off guard and still am stunned by what I saw. All the while, a donkey cab driver who was trying to charge us twice what he should have. Poor guy didn't know that you can't cheap out on Sarah!

Four hour layover in Manila gave us enough time to read the headlines- "US Embassy Restricts Travel to Manila"....awesome.

Made it out, but flight was late due to really heavy rains.

Got to Borocay airport to find out its an hour and a half drive to the boat. The boat ride is about 20 minutes to the little island that the hotel is on.

Turns out this place is one of those where all the wildlife is giant....saw a giant snail and a giant bee. Looks like its gonna be me versus the giant frogs tonight! Then me versus the giant fish Monday.....

Finally, at around noon we arrived at our hotel!!!.....Sarah fell asleep the second we sat by the pool.....

1 comment:

  1. Love, love the update and pics!! I am betting on the frogs!! Sarah,get some sleep!!

    ReplyDelete