Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Shanghai Project

I've decided that I'm going to get a bike to ride around near the house. It's going to be a BMX with a sidecar. In the 80's they called them "side hacks". But before I go into it, I have to make fun of someone first.

While doing research on where to find a bike, then who to take it to to fab a sidecar, I came across a form on an expat website. A guy looking for something to do with riding his bike wrote this:

"I ride a single speed freecoaster dirt jump/urban freeride single speed mountain bike."

That is how he started his posting on the form. What the hell is that? How about just call it a freaking bike? All it is is some metal on wheels buddy.

Anyway, Sarah promised me she'd ride around with me if I got it. And the sidecar sort of takes away from the adult-male-riding-a-bmx-cause-he-got-one-too-many-DUIs stereotype that is actually more than just a stereotype in Klamath Falls.

The plan is to take a decent BMX, find someone who can weld, steal some schematics from google, tweak some stuff, and have it made. My only concern is that the sidecar may make the bike a bit difficult to navigate through the congested streets of Shanghai. To counter, I'm going to have the sidecar built a bit more narrow than usual- say just wider that shoulder width.

There are tons of bike shops in Shanghai, so finding something shouldn't be too hard. Also, the city is very flat- I haven't seen a single hill yet....so riding doubles on a single speed BMX should be doable.

One of these little twinkies can only be painted cake yellow and rock white mag wheels....just so you know what to expect from a visual standpoint....

I'm open to suggestions on the build- if anyone has experience with side hacks please post here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment