Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I made it home!  Never thought I'd ever be calling this place home....but when I got here to Shanghai, saw Driver David, and got out of the airport I felt like I was home.

I got bumped up to first class on the flight home....no idea why.  The only other white person on the plane did too.  They sat us together.

Her name was Valentina, Italian, and it turns out she has a law firm here is Shanghai that helps people deal with visa issues from time to time.  I made quick friends.

She followed me through immigration, as a nice gesture, and so we gave her a ride home.  She actually lives right up the street....and we agreed to get together sometime- she and her husband, and Sarah and I.

Sarah has a play date with Kate next week too.  Kate is the girl who we met in Boracay.  She's super nice, from Carolina I think.

I'm finding that it's super easy to meet other expats here....and they all give friendly advise on where to eat, hang out, etc.  However, I've heard the same stuff from a couple different people- making me think the community is sort of small....and the places for expats to hang may be limited.

Valentina was emphasizing the awesomeness of Sherpas.....as have many others.  I may have mentioned it before- but Sherpa is a food delivery company.  They have tons of employees all over Shanghai in cars, bikes, scooters, and on foot.  You call them and place a food/beer/wine order from any restaurant and they will deliver it in 2 minutes!  How much does this delivery system cost you ask?  Try $2.  That's right- 2 bucks and any food will be at your door in 20 minutes!

I was thinking about trying it tonight so I could write a review on the actual service- but nobody really cares about the review....so here is more news:

-Tomorrow I'm playing tennis with some euro guy who uses military time to schedule a match??
-I will now be resuming my hunt for a BMX with a sidecar for Sarah and I.
-Cankles are in.
-Our stuff is supposed to arrive sometime this week or next!
-Sarah is thinking about dying her hair all one color!  I'm worried about her greys.
-David and I booked a fishing trip to 1000 Island Lake for the last week of October.
-Kris + Cam = Love
-I'm winning my fantasy football league.  Even won a game while in Filipino jail!

3 comments:

  1. I was afraid that the manila episode my slow your spirits, but I think you are in rare form. Make sure you have the bike so when I come you can give me a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna read the review of that food delivery service. Test 'em by ordering something from all the way across town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ordered lunch via Sherpas today- it took 18 minutes from when I hung up the phone.

    Food was hot, and as in usual Shanghai fashion- no tip necessary.

    ReplyDelete