Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Stroll Through Town

I took a stroll through town today. I walked to the Nanjing fake market, which is about a 10 minute walk.

David picked me up there and took me to Sarah's office for lunch. I didn't know, but I was about 4 or 5 blocks from her work.

After that, David took me to the "real" fake market- which was night and day from the one I was in before. The real fake market made the fake fake market look like a Nordstrom.

The real fake market was an old abandoned mall outside of the city's center. It looked like an 80's sci-fi movie where the post apocalyptic society had made due with the left over nuclear disaster zone. And to be honest, the air was foul and gave me a headache, it was loud and cramped, and I can assure you that I was the only non-Chinese person to visit this place today.

That said, it was sick! Crammed full of everything you could think of (except electronics). Building materials, tools, toothpaste, toys, scooters, bike helmets, everything you can think of....and all dirty cheap!

Today I was hunting for a specific toy- and David knew right where to go. He has a 4 year old son.

The idea has long been discussed between Eric and I....to get a remote control boat, tie some fishing line to it with a lure and troll it around and fish with it. After seeing a picture of Eric and Gino with a fish- I figured I better pick up the RC boat finally so they could use it at Eric's house.

For $6.00 I landed what I was looking for. I think $6.00 is the foreigner price....but I know David spent some time arguing with the guy at the shop- so hopefully I didn't get hosed too bad. We tested it out and it rips pretty good. The only issue is that it charges on 220V instead of the US 110V, so it'll need a converter. Otherwise, Eric and Gino should be able to get it to work....

I took some photos, as usual they look like garbage.

#1- The real fake market.

#2- Entrance to the fake fake market near our place. This is the place to go for bags and watches.

#3- Traditional Chinese building. Probably the last in the city and will be torn down by next week to make way for a giant skyscraper.

#4- Sweet RC boat, nicknamed the "fish slayer".

#5- More fake market- note the scooters inside the mall. Yes, here you don't have to walk anywhere- you can scooter right up to the register.

#6- Your guess is as good as mine as to why I took this photo.

#7- Giant fish market. Here you buy live fish- the market employee will either take care of the fish for you or put it in a plastic box with water. Here, the longer something is alive before it is consumed, the better. David told me some people buy live fish here and take them, still alive, to a restaurant of their choice to be killed and cooked.

#8- E and G with a large mouth bass out of "the pond". What's in his mouth G???

1 comment: