Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Freak out!

It all started a few days ago. Sarah reminded me that her co-worker gave me money to buy home a green laser pointer to bring back for him.

As we were walking from our neighborhood to another we saw an electronics mall that we thought would fit the bill. It was similar to the fake markets- borderline black market maybe. We walked out with a green laser pointer.

Now, I didn't know why Sarah's friend was so OMA about getting this thing until that night. Once it was dark we said "let's see what's what here" and we opened the box and lit it up. See for yourself in the picture below- this thing was unbelievable. It was literally lighting up the top of a skyscraper 2 miles away. No lie.

Fast forward to 3pm this afternoon. I leave the house on a mission back to this mysterious market. A few blocks later, I'm there.

I immediately notice that when I walk in there are two, maybe three dudes following me. I've read enough to know well- pick pockets. Fine- I can handle them.

I get to the counter and barter back and forth for a second laser. The dude- same guy I bought the first one from, shows me that it'll light matches, pop balloons, burn paper, and even burn a hole in the wall if you hold it there long enough. That, I think was supposed to impress me enough to accept his price....but it didn't. I walked away fairly satisfied but sick of dealing with people and needing a little personal space.

I should have gone straight home- but I made the mistake. I knew better but my curiosity got the best of me.

I saw a market and I couldn't figure out what it was....no foreigners in sight.....and I just had to go in.

Walk in the door- which wasn't a door but rather some clear plastic hanging in my way. It was a meat market. Not just any meat market, a local meet market. To the right was some sort of red meat. To the left, maybe that was chicken....all good at this point other than the smell. A little further back got me to the fish- all alive still. Crab alive too....eel dead.

Then, after I made my loop to the back, and was on my way out I saw it.

Rest assured, if you so chose not to read beyond this point, no one will judge you. Least of all me. There are many things in this world that are not worth knowing....this may be one of them.

The live stuff is usually in styrofoam boxes, for what reason I can not say....but the isle leading out was lined with them. As I approached I could see that these boxes contained something I didn't want to see....but my eyes drew, my better judgment failed. There, in these boxes were piles and piles of live snakes, eels, worms, and something I couldn't look at long enough but could only guess as giant leaches.

It was horrifying, but we aren't at the worst part yet my friends. A group of older men were standing by one of the boxes admiring the slimy wad of gross when one of them reaches his hand forward, grabs a single small leach and eats it- flat still alive.

The thought of getting a picture for this blog crossed my mind- but my actions were involuntary. Instead I gave a great, 13 year old girl yell and ran out with everyone staring at me!

Through the door and to the street I was safe....or so I thought for one second, just long enough to get a photo of the outside of the building.

Turning to the street I began to walk toward home....but something was different. The streets seemed loud, air was heavy, and I was the only white boy in sight. I was having my first freak out moment.

Panicked I tried to cross the street....which I mentioned before is a major risk. Almost got hit twice but made it.

Finally in the clear? No.

I walked one block and looked to the middle of the road- I don't know why. There, right in the mix of everything were three cats that had been hit by a car(s). I said three, not one, not two, three. Really? It was total carnage...and I'm really struggling to understand why.

Guts everywhere, I was walking at the pace of a slow run.

Luckily,the closer I get to home, the more it feels like the world I know- and I stopped in to the Boxing Cat Brewery for a little western feel. Few.

All told here is where I stand:

Got all the things people have asked me to bring home except a camera for Dade. Dude, I think you're out of luck- I can't find one for cheap that is worth buying.....but I'll keep trying.

Many of you have asked for a green laser pointer after i emailed that photo. Considering my recent bad luck with customs and immigration, I'm only willing to bring over two at a time to the US- so someone is out of luck this time....and you all can fight over the extra. Right now in leaning toward giving it to Chad as an MBA grad gift. Congrats Chad BTW!

Going forward, I'm not going into the local meat market by myself.

Get your pets spayed and neutered.

I'm only going to wear pants that have back pockets that button from now on.

Last, I don't know if Jim Bellinger reads this blog or what- but he will appreciate this- driver David told me today that it is perfectly legal for a passenger to drink beer in the car.....I love this place!



2 comments:

  1. Dude, don't make the mistake of thinking buttons on your pockets will stop a good pickpocket. Don't worry about the camera. Fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Story!! You are becoming quite a writer, maybe a new career. Made sure Jim read this blog.

    ReplyDelete